There are a few reasons as to why people feel lonely when they aren’t alone. After doing some research, I found that there are 5 main reasons to people feeling lonely.
- You are the kind of person who prefers closeness in a relationship and when you don’t have this in a relationship, you tend to feel alone.
- You are an introvert and you may find socialising tiring and scary, meaning you are left alone quite often and tend to feel lonely.
- You prefer quality over quantity, meaning you would rather have one really close, important relationship instead of a bunch of average friendships.
- You keep yourself and your secrets locked away, this means people can’t form a personal relationship with you leaving you feeling lonely.
- You spend a lot (and I mean a lot) of time on social media, no this isn’t online shaming, it just means you shut yourself from the world outside your door, so the relationships formed online may be somewhat comforting but they aren’t as good as ones where you can actually see and touch them sadly. (Otherwise, I would never feel lonely; I live on the internet). It also doesn’t help when you see friends and others hanging out with their friends on their social media updates. (Especially when they are all at a party you weren’t invited to and you see all your friends having fun, this is such a downer).
Here are my personal tips to feel better when I’m feeling lonely:
- Read a book. This may not essentially be helping you in the long run, but if you are someone who only feels lonely for small periods of time, reading a book and transporting into that world of adventure could really help you. It allows you to escape reality, even if it is only for a little bit.
- Call up a family member, have a little chat with your nan! It will give you something to do, makes you feel less lonely and will surely make them feel loved! A win for a win!
- Write down. This can be anything, write a story, write a poem, write in your diary, anything! As long as it's helping you feel less lonely it's working!
- Make internet friends. I know they aren't nearby and you can't physically touch them, but I cannot count the number of times I have felt lonely and gave my best friend, who lives in Cardiff, a call on skype and we would talk for hours. This was always my favourite way to feel better because she makes me laugh!
- Invite one friend over to watch a movie, I am sure if you just ask a friend to come over because you feel lonely they will be right over! After all, what are friends for?
I hope this could help in any way!
If push comes to shove, I'm your friend and you can always message me!