My Role at TWE:
1. I've had a buzz cut pretty much since I was 15, and I urge you all to join me in the liberation from hair.
2. My family have ducks for one reason or another. They're pretty neat.
3. I was raised by the sea (as most Danish people) and get kind of claustrophobic when I'm far from an open body of water. It's a weird conditioning thing, there's probably research about it.
4. I am really into politics. If you're legal, GO VOTE!!!!
5. I aspire to be as kind as possible to all things around me. This is pretty difficult to accomplish, and I constantly battle with my own selfishness, but I try to do the best I can.
BONUS: I'm addicted to caffeine. Not as bad as, say, cocaine, but still annoying when you have to pay for coffee yourself.
My Top 3 Articles:
1) Academics and executive dysfunction by Elliott - It's important to realise our own limits when it comes to education, and I'm a firm believer in taking a step back and reevaluating a problematic situation. Elliott illustrates doing exactly that, and if you struggle with procrastination (like me, hoh boy) you can benefit from this article, whether it's to the point of ED or not.
2) "Gold-Star" lesbians by Rae - This is an area I have personal experience with, I'm a young gay woman, but for the first couple of years when puberty hit, I was convinced I was bisexual. During this period I had my first relationship - with a boy. I think this article hits the nail pretty spot on for why this term is exclusionary. If you want an example of what discrimination within a minority space can loo like, read here.
3) Politics for newbies by Jazz - Politics are VERY, VERY important, especially for young people. Our demographic has a tendency for apathy and not voting, because honestly, political systems are more complicated than exams, and who has the time? Well, if we want the planet and ourselves to be okay now and in the future, we need to make the time. Read this article if you're from the UK and want the basics of political lingo.
My Own Articles:
I'm Katinka! I'm a (new) writer here at TWE, joined November 2018. I love writing with all my heart, and I hope you'll enjoy reading some of my articles! Things to get out of the way: I'm from Denmark, I'm 19, I'm currently very much stuck in the IB, and I have no idea what I want to do with my life (Please don't ask. I've got enough existential dread going on already). I enjoy questioning society, why we live the way we do, and what motivates us to in certain ways. Music is what drives me - my favorite piece of maybe all time is Händelusive, 2nd movement by Hugi Guðmundson, which sounds obscure, but is really just a pop classical piece played with a lot of funky instruments. Other than that I enjoy all the normal stuff, and regard Lady Gaga's album Joanne as the best thing in contemporary music (I will fight you on this).