What is happiness?
the state of being happy.
This is such a mundane and frankly redundant definition that isn’t helpful to finding the core of what happiness truly is. But honestly, google is not to blame for happiness in itself is such an indescribable. It’s not a momentary spark of joy but a deep sense of contentment. Something comforting to a busy mind. Something you can feel deep in your heart and soul. Yes, this sounds cheesy and like quite an overused topic but it’s important to know about and to find your own happiness. To find your how contentment and your own will to continue going forward at a steady pace in life. This is one of the hardest things to find but once you’ve reached that point, it’s hard to look back at the times where you weren’t. Remember that everyone will get there including you and even if you feel singled out in life, you can reach happiness.
My name is Lukas and I believe that right now, I am not happy. I am not at that point in my life and that’s completely okay because I know there will be a point where I can honestly know that I am happy. I struggle with anxiety, depression and have a really iffy history that has deeply impacted my mental health otherwise lack of. However, I am taking action to stride forward and find my happiness no matter how hard that might be because unlike many things, happiness is worth a lot of sacrifices. Jump forward, be fearless, be happy! The more I think about it, I realize that this is more easily said than actually done but it’s so worth giving a try to.
Please remember that there are always boundaries though. Yes, it’s important to find your happiness but if your happiness is through the pain of other’s, then this is not okay. Remember that everyone is on the same mission as you and if you are the toxic person in another’s life, then it’s incredibly hypocritical to say that you want happiness if you aren’t allowing others the same. Happiness is not a privilege, it’s something that is essential to the Human survival.
Happiness can be found through several things. Perhaps your happiness can be found through a muse, a person, an activity and that’s completely okay. It’s also okay to have not found your happiness yet either. It’s all about when you’ve reached the right point in your life where you can successfully say that you have found something that makes your life worth living. It doesn’t even have to be this. It can just be the sense of knowing that even if you wanted more, you wouldn’t need more and you are okay with that. This is also a sense of deep contentment. When I speak of happiness, I don’t speak of exhilaration but rather you reach a point in your life where you can take a deep breath, look up and say honestly that you are happy.
I want to give you advice on how to maintain happiness once it’s found and how to actually find what’s so important to your mental health. My tips would be to:
- Keep those who are special to you, close in your life. Keep those who make you feel sudden rushes exhilaration and joy. Remember that your happiness through your relationships is important. These people can be family, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends/datemates and that’s okay! Whatever relationship makes you happy (considering that it’s legal) is good for you.
- Push those who are toxic away. People who are toxic can be people who value their own happiness over yours, hurt you more than they actually benefit you. Although it may be hard to find the strength to push these people out of your life, it’s important that you do find the strength because they are doing more harm than good.
- Find a hobby that you love and stick with it! Do it in your spare time. Try and keep the hobby as something you have frequent access to because that way, you have something special to depend on. For me, it’s writing and singing. For you, it may be playing video games! Whatever makes you happy, haha!
- Think about religion. Religion can make people very happy but it can also take away happiness. If it makes you happy and gives you a god(s) to depend on, then go straight ahead but if it makes you feel restricted and gives you more negative feelings then positive, don’t be scared to stray.
- Consider your current emotional state. Are you already happy? Do you need this article at all? Try and smile. Is that a real smile? It’s all about questioning your current state and putting your effect forward.
Stay safe my loves.