One of my biggest fears is growing up. It's something that I get worked up over on a daily basis. I'm 17 but I'll be 18 in around 5 months, and I am terrified because I am not ready to be a functional adult. I'm terrified of university and eventually work and just want to stay as a five year old for ever :') As a person, I tend to live in the past which really isn't the best. I know a lot of people deal with this kind of a thing, I've developed ways to cope with feeling overwhelmed and nostalgic about growing up:
- You have to try your best to focus on the present, and remember that if you don't savor it, you'll regret it later when you look back at it. Life is awesome and you have to take it one day at a time
- Also remember that age doesn't define you, you are entitled to act as childish as you want. You can dress how you want, act how you want and be however you want. Wear your hair in pig tails, watch cartoons and disney movies, colour in, get excited when you hear an ice cream van- just be you.
- Make the most of school because as cliché as it sounds, those years can really be some of your best and you might miss it when you leave. Make the most of your education because it does influence your future. But also make the most of friendships and time with your family. Remember to take care and be kind to yourself and others.
- Remember the future is full of amazing opportunities and chance. Adults have a lot of opportunities and chances that child hood doesn't. You basically have the chance to carve out your future any way that you want- this can seem really scary at first, but it is also amazing.
- Sometimes you have to just stop and take a breather. Life gets hectic and you need to take a step back and just relax.